How to lay a criminal case against someone

Anyone breaking a law can have a criminal case be brought against them. The most important thing here to remember is that the police CANNOT and MAY NOT refuse to take your statement when you want to lay a criminal case or lay a complaint against someone who you believe broke a law. Such a police officer who refuses to help you or take your statement you need to take his name and report him/her to the station commander. You can then also lay a charge against such a police officer (at a different charge office preferably) It is also important that you know that once you laid a criminal charge against someone you will need to give evidence in a court, and that you should never ever drop the charges, as this might be a reason why police are reluctant to help in the first place because people open cases and then drop it later again, this is no good. Be sure of your facts, take your proof of the crime or any witnesses with you when laying your complain, and give as much information as possible.

Be very careful what you say, KEEP TO THE FACTS, and leave out any emotions, as you have to swear under oath that you are speaking the truth in your statement. Only sign your statement if you are happy with the way the police wrote it down. If something was put down incorrectly, ask to change it before you sign. REMEMBER that the police officer taking your statement cannot decide weather your complaint is serious or not, it is not up to him/her. They MUST take a statement from anyone who comes into the police station to make a complaint, it is their work.

After you have made your statement,make sure you get the police reference number. This is the police register number where they are supposed to keep a record of all complaints made at the charge office. This is your proof that you reported the crime to the police. The reference number is also called an OB number (Occurrence Book number).

People who were injured, or physically abused and need medical treatment MUST get a J88 medical report form from the police to be filled in by the medical practitioner you go to, and this can be your own doctor or a government doctor. After your examination, you need to take this J88 form back to the police as it becomes part of the docket. If at all possible, make copies of everything for yourself to keep.

The police now need to investigate your case and you should check up regularly every week to see what is happening with your case, what is the progress etc. Make SURE you get the name of the investigating officer and then speak directly to that person every time you inquire. Make sure you know the criminal case number to quote every time you phone them. If you think or believe that there are deliberate delays or lack of investigation going on, you then need to file a complaint at the IPID or Independent Complaints Directorate and let the investigating officer knows you will do that.